Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pruning the Blueberries


This weekend I pruned my poor neglected blueberries. Above are a couple of unpruned bushes - they crank out the berries like heroes, but I haven't pruned them in years, so they need a little grooming. This weekend, while adorable hubby worked on the fences to keep Cesar, Prince of Ponies, where we want him to be - for instance: not in the blueberries - I gave the blueberry bushes a little manicure and haircut.



The Ohio extension site has nice suggested before and after pictures, which look a lot like my before and after bushes, but I can't get them loaded up here.

The photos make the after bushes look more thin and scraggley, instead of tidy.  I followed their simple directions. It's hard cutting away anything growing, but I hope to have many more blueberries from my sturdy healthy bushes this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment