Thursday, July 31, 2008

Anti Pots

A year ago, I signed up for the ceramics course at the community college where I was teaching criminal justice psychology and psychology classes. I found I still loved it, so this is become a focus of my time and attention, since I have such a strong aesthetic response to the process as well as the products.

These two pots are part of a series of pieces I worked on last semester, addressing the question - how much clay can one take away and still call a pot a pot?

It was great fun cutting up these pots after they had gotten to that nice leather hard stage of drying.

These both still look like pots, even though they aren’t going to hold any water….

Nice dust catchers, as my mamma would call them. They will hold a candle and spill out light in an interesting way. Putting the one with the strips missing on a revolving tray and watching it turn around and around is an entertaining little experience.

The instructor for the class is going on sabbatical and asked me to teach the pottery classes while he is gone. Such delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment